Southwestern University Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc. (SWU-MHAM CM, Inc.) was established as Southwestern Colleges in the summer of 1946, when the entire country was in the process of rehabilitation from the destruction of World War II. The Founders were Don Matias Hipolito Aznar II and his wife Doña Anunciacion Barcenilla Aznar, who were pharmacists by profession. Their vision was to establish a school of medicine that is within the reach of the common people.
In the school year 1946-1947, the Doctor of Medicine Program was opened with fourteen pioneering students and six faculty members. Full government recognition of the Doctor of Medicine Program was granted by the Department of Education in 1952. The enactment of the Medical Act of 1965 by the Philippine Congress required all medical colleges in the country to be converted into a non-profit educational institution. Thus, the Doctor of Medicine Program of the Southwestern University was converted and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on May 26, 1970, under the corporate name Southwestern University – Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc. The Medical College is so named to honor and perpetuate the memory of its late founder, Don Matias Hipolito Aznar II. Since its conversion in 1970 into a non-profit medical institution, SWU-Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc. has acquired a separate juridical identity as a corporate entity, distinct and apart from Southwestern University, Inc. and has its own governing Board of Trustees.
In the year 2015, the SWU-Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc. severed corporate ties with Southwestern University, Inc. and started once more as an independent higher education institution. The institution then renamed its corporate identity as Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc. in the year 2017.
On July 2018, the institution was divided into two separate corporate entities, separating the Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc. from other medical and paramedical programs and was then registered under a separate corporate name as MHAM College Inc.
With accelerating globalization, MHAM College Inc. envisions numerous and diverse avenues for upholding excellence and quality among students, academic and administrative employees. Realizing the founder’s vision of universal competitiveness, the higher education institution offered new academic programs in the year 2018 such as Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology under the MHAM College of Allied Medical Sciences (MHAM-CAMS); Bachelor of Science in Biology and Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science Major in Disaster Management under the MHAM College of Arts and Sciences (MHAM-CAS).
In the year 2019, both corporate entities now perform their academic and administrative functions in the newly erected MHAM College Building located at Ramon Duterte Street, Brgy. Banawa-Guadalupe, Cebu City.
Today, MHAM College Inc. exists as an independent institution of higher learning while inculcating the core values of professionalism, respect, oneness, leadership, integrity, fairness, and excellence to its students and employees. The College will be offering other programs in the future to cope with the trends and demands of education in the country, the community, and the world.
A leading institution of higher learning producing universally competitive, morally upright, and service-oriented professionals.
The MHAM College is committed to create a polite behavior and courteousness; adhere to a high sense of ethical standards in the performance of our duties and responsibilities in the work place.